Friday, July 01, 2005

Fly Away...

“They say life is a cobweb and not an organization chart. Wish it were so. Wish the calculations of life were simpler and the results more predictable…”

These thoughts crossed my mind as I bid goodbye to a close friend of mine. A person on way to her divorce. Third case that I knew amongst my friends.

She has been married for the past 4 years, and has a kid. From day one of her marriage, she witnessed an odd behavioral pattern of her husband. She has succumbed to his physical violence, mental harassments, all in the hope that things would work out well some day or other.

Almost similar are the cases of the other two of my friends. All three of them have now decided to break out of these barricades of relationships that have broken them down. They have decided to live life fully, new with the fresh breath of freedom that it would bring along with. Whatever happened till now in each of their lives has caused them enough pain. There have been times with my male friend & one of the female friends to succumb to the pressures & attempt suicide. But they have somehow survived out of it till now, and as I believe, for a reason.

Earlier, as I came close to each of these individuals, I was taken aback at the fragility of a relationship. I wondered as what it took for a marriage survive. One day as I talked it over to another close friend of mine he commented that it was plain understanding that one needed. One need not carry on with a relation that was proving to be unhealthy to the individual. A relation should not pose as suffocation; it rather should give you the support and energy that one requires while traveling from the downs of life.

In cases when the patience and energy of a person does not prove sufficient to work up on the relationship, one should just let it go – for the betterment of self and the other person.

All these friends of mine had expressed similar views over their divorces – they felt they were given a chance to enjoy life anew, freshly, without any chains of dead relations to hold them down.

Change is inevitable, even in relationships. Hence one needs a maturity to understand the changes that are happening with the other person and adapt to them or rather be in pace with them.

Life is quite simple, it should be kept that way, he added. I mused over it, and concluded that it is rather foolish of us to expect our lives to remain, as they were, picturesque. Were it to be so, it would be an actual organization chart and not a roller coaster ride, with its highs & lows.

From the depths of my heart I wish my friends the best that life has to offer them. The tunnel of darkness has proved to be quite long for them; I wish them a bright & a sunny opening…

No comments: