Saturday, February 05, 2005

All Aimed At

In my early teenage years, I never gave a serious thought about my ambition in life. But now that I’m in my early 20s, the most critical deciding point of my life, I find myself charting out plans for my future life. Many a times, I stop mid-track in my thoughts and wish I had more than one chance at life.

Maybe it is the passion to live life to its fullest that makes me want to achieve so many goals in a short span. I want to be in so many places at the same time. To come to think of it, I would rather be a vet or a zoological researcher working in the wild jungles (thanks to Discovery channel), or an astronomer observing the planets, comets, galaxy, the black hole- the unknown forces and their effects on earth; or maybe a doctor working around the clock under tension saving lives and hearing the first cries of life. Then again I have a strong wish to be an advocate- the devil in the black coat who builds strategies to save or kill, and succeeds by a mere play of words; or a great singer who warms the hearts of many by her melodious voice; or a CID officer working up on all those murder mysteries- with warm wishes from Mr. Sherlock Holmes; or I want to be a… Well, the list could be endless. Gosh, how’s all that possible in one short life?
I see a cat now and I go green with envy!

Well, I know I cannot assure that I get human life again. So in this sweet little gift of life that I now have, I know that I have to be at my best…to be the one that I have the capability and the skill for- a copywriter.

I owe you a big thank you God, for giving me this precious chance.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Charuta

Reading over your first list of choices it seems to me that more than anything else you want a career where you crave involvement, passion, the thrill of discovery, healing, helping, a commitment to a cause...

Assuming that these are not just passing fancies (like I wanted to be a rock star once...:-)) and allowing for the fact that every profession has its share of drudgeries...which rarely make the screen...

Would you really be happy sitting behind a desk writing stuff to sell other people's soaps, matches and what have you?

Now there's nothing wrong being a copywriter of course...if it makes you happy and fulfilled then that is what is right for you....

But going by your list...if you really meant what you said...I think you should do some honest soul searching as to what you REALLY want :-)

And yes, we (as far as we know) live only once...and that is the whole
point...at the end of it all, to look back and feel that you rose to challenges and met them, and did what your heart told you to do, and made something special of your life for yourself and others, rather than take the wellworn path and play safe all your life.

What say? :-)

Cheers
Manoj

Anonymous said...

Hey Charu,

When I read all those first, i recollected all those moments when i pondered
o'er same...then i realized one thing, every second as this life passes
through the period of time .... i can feel it..... i can feel the time turning
tables on bad wishes.... as it happened to Iraq's dictator and Afghanistan's
autocrat bureaucracy....and realized that you have to pay for what u sow.......

Today again as I read the same version i find meaning strikingly altered
....since i've been thinking of all these things ....in life. life is constantly
ebbing with altered goals and ideas ...... may be those are the real facts which
we always face yet .... at times cannot express. Deep down in heart may lie a
wish to be an archaeologist, or a countrywoman ... yet practically i may be a
phenomenal one ..... with all world buzzing around ...... Some day i talked
about my aspirations to one of best friends and she laughed ..... Manu u better
decide what you want from life!!! and now when i've searched all over ......in
my soul i had just one reply.... i want to be a mother, a quintessential mother
like an eagle.....who aspires nothing from its child ......but rushes forth
towards it...from thousands of miles up in the sky when she knows that it's
child needs her.... or may be is growing up fast......... and so everyday as i
wake up in the morning and find my child sleeping peacefully in my arms ...... i
feel that moment ..... may be that is exactly what u meant by in your teenage
years.... i feel it was more about time and second ...., it were those moments
you aspired and enjoyed being yourself .... and were in human terms ... growing
up to be a better individual that u are and will be ....... still you will find
your ambitions and aspirations changing ..... so be ready for it ... as you
rightly say.... you have to be the best in this human life... for you never know
whether you get it again

so keep up the good work, and live and love !

cheers
manu d.

P.S. Do not think i am a lecturer .............................nor a
critic.... just a friend…

Anonymous said...

hi charuta,

it was a good piece of writing won't say a great one, you wrote about a persons dream what this person wants to be, if you say this person is having one life don't you think there so much more to be done than doing something just because u are good at it. he/she wanna become a copywriter coz he's good at it not coz he wants to be one (not a chooser but compromising). the writeup never tells me what copywriting is going to this persons life. it seems to be a compromise.

sorry i tried to be honest. don't let critisism put you off, but do thinks about it.

wish you all the best. may you get lots of chances to write.

sudip

P.S.: what is copywriting??? and are you one...