Saturday, January 18, 2020

Insights

A very interesting evening in terms of conversation with LeeSia today.

Today was Shivaji Maharaj Jayanti aka the birthday of Shivaji Maharaj, an Indian warrior king. Schools and office were closed today for celebrations. All over Maharashtra, there were celebrations in terms of enactments of incidents from his life that highlight his virtues, "dhol-tasha" aka musical bands that generally follow a kid dressed up as the king on a horse, etc.👑

I could not take the kids to watch the entire lot of celebrations in our neighborhood as I was pretty busy with work. So when I learnt about the celebrations proceeding nearby, I took the kids out.

Now they are still young to know about this great leader and I have planned for small lessons videos and night time stories for them to learn over time. So they were still calling him out as "that Shivaji" like he was some kid off the block.

Lesson no. 1: call out respected leaders and elders in a respectful manner as Shivaji Maharaj in this case.

Sia was excited all the time. When I asked why, she said, she wanted to see the birthday cake!!! 😂😂

It took me a loooong time explaining why there would be no cake: this birth anniversary was a different one than the birthday parties that we attend.

So as the people beating the drums and wishing the king glory forever (Shivaji Maharaj ki Jai) came closer, I could see both of them watching the proceeding with astonishment.

Sia even shouted: Look, there's Shivaji, pointing towards the kid on the horse. I had to tell her that Shivaji was no longer with us, he was with the Gods (they don't know the concept of heaven yet) and that it was a regular kid on the horse dressed up as the king. Then began a long explanation of the concept of real-unreal, truth and acting. 🙄

I told them how he fought off all the Mughal kings aka bad people and made everyone happy. Likhit was like, does he beat up bad boys and girls too? 😂😂

I educated them as how on these days we remember these great people and see how well they behaved and try to do similar in our lives.

After an "educational" hour, we reached home.

Near bedtime, Likhit finally asked what was on his mind: going to the gods.

I always approach the topic of death with great care.

I told him how people get old, they die and then go to Gods. He asked me if that's where my dad, his grandpa was. I replied yes.

He then hesitated and asked if I and his dad, Mandar would also grow old and go to be with God.

I said everyone does.

The expressions on his face were of pure anxiety. I quickly added: well, we will be very very old and be with kids for a long time, so he need not worry! 🤞

Sia asks if there are pink toys to play with, at God's house (her world is always stuck at pink toys! 🙄😘). I told her that if people behave well, god gives them all that they wish for. And by the time she went to God, she would be an old lady, no longer playing with toys!!!

Likhit then confirmed our parenthood for the next birth as well: so you guys will be our parents after you come back from God, right?

I hugged him tight and said Yes!!!

Here's hoping this was a helpful dialogue for them!

Boy, parenthood is no cakewalk!!!

Love them both!😘😍

No comments: